Bacon and peanut butter dog treats? Oh heck yeah.
If your pooch loves this recipe as much as mine, you will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I’ve said from the start that I am kind of lazy when it comes to the kitchen. I really have to be in the mood to cook something, but perhaps I am not alone in that? I know my Goldendoodle dandy Dug loves treats, but we’ve not found a store brand that does it like Mom. I am sure you can relate.
So, here is my personal homemade recipe for Bacon and Peanut Butter Dog Treats. I will note, I don’t use eggs in this recipe as I sub applesauce. You can use 1 egg instead if you like. Also….don’t skimp on the hint of bacon grease. Your pup will thank you for it
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
1/2 cup of peanut butter
2-3 slices of cooked crispy bacon (diced fine)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
Optional: 1-2 tsp of bacon grease (yum)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl. No need to get fancy, just mix them together until they are combined well and create a easy to use dough. Add extra chicken stock if your dough is too dry.
- Roll out your dough 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick. It is your preference on how thin or thick you want them. But remember they will take longer to cook if you have them thick
- Use your favorite doggie cookie cutters to cut out the treats. I use a mix of large and small dog bone cookie cutters.
- Place them on the sheet and pop them in the oven for 15-18 minutes. If they are thicker this may increase your time, so keep an eye on them
- Cool and let your pup enjoy! This recipe will make up to 50 small treats.
Storage Info: Store in an air tight container in your fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can freeze them and make them last 3 months.